- Helldivers II - Right from the get-go, Sony had a welcome surprise ready to drop with their announcement trailer for this Arrowhead Studios sequel. Made to look like a comical recruitment trailer in the vein of Starship Troopers, the upcoming follow-up to the popular 2015 original looks like a veritable blast. While the exact ETA seems as yet unknown, the game should be reporting for duty on PlayStation 5 sometime later this year.
- Phantom Blade 0 - Shortly after that, Sony kicked things up a bit with a trailer for a brand new title called Phantom Blade 0. A hack and slash action game with a steampunk meets medieval Asian setting, Phantom Blade looks like it might be a pretty intriguing title. As of yet, even its year of release on the PlayStation 5 has yet to be announced but hopefully the wait won't be too long.
- Sword of the Sea - It was at this point that Sony let their fans know that they weren't messing around by revealing a new title from some of the same people that created Journey, Abzu, and The Pathless. The game shares a similar art style to those titles and seems to share a few other characteristics as well. The trailer only stated that the game would be coming to PS5, though exactly when that will be is anybody's guess.
- The Talos Principle II - While the now long-awaited follow-up to the critically-acclaimed 2014 original has been known about for some time, an actual release date has not. Thanks to the PlayStation Showcase, we can at least now narrow that release date down to this year. Here's hoping that The Talos Principle II will be every bit as excellent as the first.
- Street Fighter 6 - Even though this game is only days away from release now, a trailer was included in the Showcase nevertheless. Presumably, to get fighting fans sufficiently amped up and ready to battle. After the pretty disappointing last entry in the series, it's a little hard to get too excited for Street Fighter 6, but perhaps a little cautious optimism is in order.
- Spider-Man 2 - Sony wrapped up the showcase with a surprisingly lengthy clip from the next entry in their Insomniac-developed Spider-Man series. If it's anything like the last two releases, it's sure to be a hit. Though the fact that it looked like all kinds of awesome in the video certainly didn't hurt either. Fans of gaming and comic books alike will no doubt be eagerly awaiting the release of Spider-Man 2, this fall.
Last week, Sony released their (semi) annual PlayStation Showcase video in order to highlight some of the exciting titles that will be coming out in the near future. The trailer compilation was surprisingly lengthy and featured several noteworthy titles, both anticipated and unanticipated. Continue on after the break for a look at some of the standouts.
While these were some of the stand-out trailers of the showcase, they were by no means the only games to keep an eye out for. Be sure to check it out yourself if you haven't already. Then, let us know in the comments what games you're most looking forward to.
12/12 Games is the